Thursday 11 January 2018

Review - The Extinction Trials (The Extinction Trials, #1) by S.M. Wilson




Title: The Extinction Trials (The Extinction Trials, #1)
Author: S.M. Wilson
Pages: 384
Publisher: Usborne Publishing Ltd
Release Date: 1st January 2018

Blurb from Goodreads: 

Betrayal. Sacrifice. Survival.
Welcome to the Extinction Trials.

In Stormchaser and Lincoln's ruined world, the only way to survive is to risk everything. To face a contest more dangerous than anyone can imagine. And they will do anything to win.

But in a land full of monsters - human and reptilian - they can't afford to trust anyone. Perhaps not even each other...













My Review:

*I won an ARC of this book. Thanks to Usborne Publishing*


-Contains spoilers!-





Stormchaser and Lincoln live on the continent of Earthasia where space is running out and there is barely enough food to go around. Healthcare is a luxury given to only a select few, but despite this the population is still growing faster than Earthasia can cope with.
Enter the Trials. Every year people enter to become Finalists who are sent to the dinosaur continent of Piloria. Some aim to become Finalists for the extra food, others have different reasons. However, all are given a task to complete in Piloria that the Stipulators hope will aid in the survival of the humans and their aim to colonise Piloria. Last year the Finalists went for food. This year they need to get the eggs of three of the most dangerous dinosaurs.
Will Stormchaser and Lincoln survive their time on Piloria?
Can Storm cope with the guilt she feels about what they are doing?


I usually try not to compare books to each other if I can help it, but this really was the Hunger Games meets Jurassic Park.
I liked Storm and Lincoln as characters. They were relatable and it was interesting to read as Storm struggled with the ethics of what they were doing. The reason behind Storm's scars wasn't as interesting as I was expecting, but I liked her bond with Milo the Plesiosaur.
The plot was mostly good, but there were some things that bothered me. For example, resources were so low that at the end only one of the Finalists that got an egg could have extra food and healthcare, yet during the Trials and the boat journey to Piloria, the competitors/Finalists were allowed to eat as much as they wanted. That didn't really make sense to me.
I enjoyed reading the scenes with the dinosaurs and I was glad that there wasn't much romance - I think it would have taken away from the story if there had been more.
While I am slightly disappointed that I didn't enjoy this as much as I thought I would, I am intrigued to see what happens in the next book.


Overall this was an enjoyable read.




 

No comments :

Post a Comment