Saturday 11 July 2015

Review - Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson





Title: Aurora
Author: Kim Stanley Robinson
Pages: 480
Publisher: Orbit
Release date: 9th July 2015

Blurb from Goodreads: 

A major new novel from one of science fiction's most powerful voices, AURORA tells the incredible story of our first voyage beyond the solar system.
Brilliantly imagined and beautifully told, it is the work of a writer at the height of his powers. 
 
Our voyage from Earth began generations ago.
Now, we approach our new home.
AURORA.












My Review:



*I received a copy of this book in exhange for an honest review. Thanks to Little, Brown Book Group UK and NetGalley*



2.5/5 stars



A starship sent from Earth is on its way to Aurora, an Earth-like planet in the Tau Ceti system, which will be the new home for the 2,000 or so people living in the starship. The ship is vast with several biomes.

The story starts over 100 years into the voyage and because none of the inhabitants were alive when the ship left Earth all they know about their home planet is what they've been told and what they see through the delayed broadcasts that are sent from Earth.

Will everything go to plan when they reach Aurora?




I love anything space related so I was excited to read this.

I enjoyed the science (for me this was the best part) and you could definitely see the effort that the author had put into research and thinking about what would affect the starship and its inhabitants - like what would happen when the ship decelerated and how the generations of the original people on the ship would be changed by living in space.

I found the narrative to be removed/detached so it was hard to relate to the characters but I did think that their actions were very believable.

The pace was slow in places and at points I found myself skim-reading because I was bored.

I would have enjoyed Aurora more if it had been shorter.




Overall this was an okay read that was slightly disappointing but I would recommend it to science buffs.



No comments :

Post a Comment