Three years ago, Zola Noite's nemesis killed her sidekick and forced her to watch. The guilt drove her to hang up her cape. Zola knows one thing for certain. She will never be a superhero again.
Psychologist Dr. Arturo "Fort" Forte specializes in super-powered mental health. He’s the only reason Zola can once again call herself sane—although, truth be told, the heat between them is slowly driving her back to mad.
When three mega-villains escape the prison Fort oversees, all Zola's best laid plans go up in flames. Fort asks her for help, and she can't turn down the man she's secretly come to love. As battles ensue and clues add up, the one thing Zola trusts is called into question: Fort's true agenda and which side he’s on.
*I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Thanks to Entangled Publishing and Shirin Dubbin*
I love superheroes so I
was really excited to receive a copy of this book to review. It's an 85 page
long book about Zola, a retired superhero, whose sidekick was brutally murdered
in front of her. The story takes place three years later when Zola is forced to
return to her superhero ways when three villains escape from an asylum and come
I don't know whether it was the writing style or the
characters but I didn't really connect to this story. I liked Zola who was
broken after what had happened. I also liked the other superheroes that featured
in the book. I didn't really like Fort the love interest. Some of the things
that happened were a bit confusing and weren't explained that well. So overall I
found this book to be a bit disappointing.
Thrust back into school life after a year in Denmark, Brenna Blixen is soon making new friends and catching the eye of two boys with bad reputations. There’s the dark and mysterious Saxon, and the gorgeous and sexy Jake.
They’re both totally hot and totally into Brenna.
But Saxon and Jake have unresolved history and Brenna’s caught in the middle.
*I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Random House Children's Publishers UK and Liz Reinhardt*
Overall I found this to be an enjoyable read. Brenna, the protagonist, was relatable and direct. One thing that did concern me was that she was only fifteen (but that could be because my sister recently turned fifteen). I felt for Brenna as she struggled to control her feelings for both Jake, who was sweet and caring, and Saxon who was sexy and a complete jerk. I was proud of Brenna when she told Jake about her encounters with Saxon and when she told her mum, who was against her having a boyfriend, about Jake. Even though this book didn't wow me I would still recommend it and I liked it enough to want to read the sequels.
Deeper We Fall (Fall and Rise #1) by Chelsea M. Cameron
Blurb from Goodreads:
Two years after her best friend was involved in a car accident that caused a traumatic brain injury, Lottie Anders is ready to start her freshman year of college. Ready to move on. Ready to start forgetting the night that ripped her life apart.
Her plans come to a screeching halt when not one, but both brothers responsible for the accident end up back in her life again.
Zack is cruel, selfish and constantly rubbing what happened to her friend in Lottie's face.
Zan is different. He listens to her awkward ramblings. He loves "To Kill a Mockingbird" as much as she does, and his dark eyes are irresistible. His words are few and far between, but when he does speak, she can't help but listen.
The trouble is, Zan was the driver in the accident, and now Lottie's discovered he lied to her about what happened that night. Now she must decide if trusting him again will lead to real forgiveness, or deeper heartache.
*I received a copy of this book for an honest review via Netgalley. Thanks to Harlequin UK*
After Katie Greene's mum dies she moves to Japan to live with her aunt. Katie soon falls for the handsome Tomohiro whose drawings seem to come to life when she's near. Soon people start asking questions and both Katie and Tomohiro are in danger.
First of all can I just say that I LOVE the cover! It's so pretty! There were also drawings in the book which I thought was a good touch.
I really enjoyed this book. I loved that it was set in Japan and it was great to learn about the culture. I really want to learn Japanese now!
Katie was a likeable protagonist and I found her relatable.
Katie and Tomohiro's relationship was sweet and I really felt for Tomohiro as he struggled to control himself. One thing that did bother me though was that Katie and Tomohiro fell in love very quickly.
Overall a very good book. I would definitely recommend it!
So I thought that I would tell you 23 things about myself!
1. I have two middle names - Elizabeth and Anna.
2. I have lived in England, New Zealand and France.
3. I started writing at 13 with a very bad The Lord of The Rings fanfiction which I am writing below. Fortunately my writing has improved a lot since then! Wow. I just realised that I've been writing for 10 years! Wow! So it would be kind of worrying if my writing hadn't improved in all that time!
Here we go...
Once upon a time there was an evil, evil witch named Sarah. She had placed an evil spell on Legolas to make him love her. But she was very ugly so he didn't like her. One day a beautiful elven princess came and killed Sarah. Then Jess the beautiful elven princess saved the day and kissed Legolas. Everybody thought that Jess the elven princess was beautiful and one day Sauron told Saruman to kidnap her. When he did, he took her to Isengard. Legolas did not know about this for Jess had been asleep so he had gone to get her flowers. When he got back he found a note saying that if he didn't take the one ring to Isengard then she would die. He loved her a lot so he didn't want her to die. He went to Gondor to see Aragorn and Charlotte to ask for a fake copy of the ring. He got one. Then he went to Rivendell to see Elrond and Emma. He asked Elrond to give him some good luck but he told him to go and see Galadriel and Gimli at Lothlorien. He did and went to Isengard. He got Jess back and gave then the fake ring. Jess was very happy to see Legolas because Saruman had been flirting with her and all the uruk hai and orcs had. They had locked her in Saruman's room and made her stay there with Saruman and never leave the room. He had been looking at her all day because he loved her. When Legolas came he didn't want her to go. So he hid her and was about to kiss her when Legolas found her and killed all of the uruk hai with one arrow. When they got home they got married.
Yeah I told you it was bad.
At the time I had a huge crush on Orlando Bloom.
4. I LOVE chocolate especially Milkybar!
5. I love Disney films but my all-time fave is Beauty and the Beast.
6. My fave band is Paramore but Thirty Seconds to Mars are a close second!
7. I am a huge geek and love anything to do with superheroes.
8. My fave TV shows are Doctor Who, Game of Thrones, Firefly and Sherlock.
9. I have a MSci but my dream job is to be a full time author.
10. I have a German Shepherd who is cute but drives me crazy!
11. My latest crush is Henry Cavill.
12. In case you couldn't tell I like using gifs.
13. I actually wrote two books before Girl Meets Underworld but neither of them have been published. I'm planning on editing them soon hopefully.
14. I have over 200 books on my Kindle, most of which I haven't read.
15. I've been a vegetarian all my life.
16. I love Lego video games, especially Lego Star Wars, and even have a Lego Star Wars watch.
17. I have ten or so stories on the go but I haven't written half of them in nearly a year.
18. I have ideas for four stories that I am yet to start writing.
19. I'm running out of things to say because I'm really not that interesting.
20. Jennifer Lawrence is currently my fave actress. Loved her in Silver Linings Playbook.
21. I cry at books and films. A lot.
22. Timothy Dalton is my fave James Bond but Daniel Craig is a close second.
23. I love skiing.
If you made it this far without falling asleep congrats! :)